Pottermania

Sun Jul 17 20:39:14 EDT 2005

Now, why would I be unwilling to admit I bought it?  I even took my kids to
the midnight release party for the first time, so they'd see what it was
like (a madhouse, but one with fun activities).  There really wasn't any
point to it because I wasn't planning on reading it right away, but it was
quite an experience.  If nothing else, we now have a public of non-readers
who understand that Reading Can Be Fun.  Hooray for J.K. Rowling and I hope
she makes another billion dollars or pounds or rubles (okay, not rubles).
Some guy who was in the first hundred purchasers ran out shouting "Wow,
Hermione is pregnant with Malfoy's baby!" and got a good laugh...I admit I
like fake spoilers myself.

I've been enjoying watching the progression of Rowling's writing technique
over the years.  She drops some real gems into the text and has learned to
gloss right over the necessary references to past events without making them
super-tedious.  The funny thing is talking to fans who didn't like how dark
_Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix_ was.  They really don't know
what to make of it and some appear to feel that it's necessary to say
outright that they didn't like how dark it was, in case anyone suspects them
of unnatural preferences in literature.

So now I've re-read the two I've planned on and will start on number 6 soon,
but maybe after playing some World of Warcraft or something.  All that
reading has to be unhealthy for you.  :)

Melissa Proffitt