clare dunkle

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Sat Jul 16 18:05:17 EDT 2005

Has anyone else read The Hollow Kingdom and Close Kin by Clare Dunkle?
I need some reassurance.  I found the first one to be a thinly-veiled
_Labyrinth_ ripoff which had potential but needed some drastic editing
and could have used a heorine who followed YA or fantasy conventions
rather than romance novel conventions, and the second one to be a
misogynist and racist waste of paper.  But the first one keeps winning
awards.  Somebody please reassure that these books aren't any good!  I
trust you people.

I see their appeal.  It's the demon lover appeal of Labyrinth that
appeals so strongly to pre-pubescent girls.  And Dunkle has some great
ideas, but somebody needs to *edit* the woman.

And break her out of the mold that having a trilogy in which women are
repeatedly made prisoners by their destined lovers is in any way a good
precedent to set outside of formula romance novels.

Bah.

-deborah, grumpy old woman
--
I'm a little teapot, short and stout.
Here is my handle and here is my ... my ...