OT: New Bujold

Mon Jul 11 11:58:19 EDT 2005

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:35:09 -0600, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>>I just found out by chance that there's a new book in the "Curse of Chalion"
>>world "The Hallowed Hunt" - has any one here already read it?
>>
>>Is it in the same time period as Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls? The
>>description sounds different, and the mention of an ice bear made me think
>>of Pullman...
>>

>WHAT? How could this happen? I usually hang out for Bujold for ages
>before they appear. I am so shocked!

I was going after the new Jim Butcher or I wouldn't have known about it.
Big shock.

I loved it.  It feels to me as if it's at the same time as the others,
because the level of technology is consistent with the earlier stories,
despite being set in another country, and it's so divorced from Chalionese
culture that it wouldn't intersect no matter what time period it was set in.
Excellent use of magic that is both original and fits handily with the
religious/magical structure Bujold created for this world.  It becomes
really clear that Bujold has a talent for seeing the implications of power,
and expressing that through the metaphor of magic and faith, that the
Vorkosigan universe never gave her full scope for.  The story is very
interesting and the supporting characters make it come alive.  (I like the
Learned Hallana, who is both a divine of the Bastard and a sorceress, sheds
chaotic magic when pregnant, and swears by saying "dratsab.")

I hope that Miles and Ekaterin's reproductive success has not marked some
kind of closing point for the series....

Melissa Proffitt
(who reads every word you people write, really)