howl's moving castle

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Jul 5 13:01:38 EDT 2005

Juergen, Sarah, Becky and I finally went to see Howl's Moving Castle. I
was prepared for it in two ways: Diana Wynne Jones had said she liked it
(and she wrote the book) and the DWJ list said it was extremely untrue
to the book.
So, I was able to enjoy it. A lot.
First of all, it deviates significantly from the book storyline, and the
ending has a much different feel, but I could see how Diana would
appreciate it. Miyazaki has taken the ideas of the characters and taken
them in a different direction, but the movie characters are entrancing
anyway. He's also moved the story from generic-16th-17th c. fairytale
time frame to Edwardian fantasy time frame, and added an active war.

Some people said they didn't like the movie Howl and Sophie, because
both are much 'softer' in the movie. We see Howl following his
concience, instead of pretending not to have one. (However, the green
slime scene is still there, with a brief twist...) We see Sophie
genuinely being taken aback, instead of being as
verbally fiesty as we remember her from the book. But Howl is still
shallow in a number of spots; Sophie is definitely a girl of spirit. But
her spirit is more like that of the heroine of the folktale East of the
Sun and West of the Moon, rather than being a dynamo powered by
grumbling. :)

Miyazaki's scenery and animation is exquisite as usual. Especially the
Star Lake and some of the other landscapes, and his trademark Edwardian
steam backgrounds; his wierd flying machines. I want to retire to the
landscape of a Miyazaki film someday. Best of all is the flying castle
itself, which is, in the movie, a walking castle on bird legs
(reminiscent of Baba Yaga's cottage). Unfortunately, we all felt the
animation of Calcifer, the captured fire demon in the hearth, was poor--
too wobbly. Billy Crystal was fine as the voice, though.

Now, Howl himself. Being the sort of girl who as a teenager was madly
susceptible to anime, I admit I have a fictional-crush on Miyazaki's
conception of Howl. He pushes all the teenage girl emotional/hormone
buttons in exactly the way he should. In Diana's book, we never see Howl
being really charming, though there are a number of points when we get
glimpses of it. Here, he's all charm and power. Sophie's power is less
obvious, and it's not entirely clear she is a witch... but, well, she's
pretty clever for a non-witch.

The most important difference is the changeover from a Georgette-Heyer,
verbally-sparring-to-the-end setup, to a more 19th century, courageous
but wounded hero and brave woman who saves him. It takes the fairy tales
apart and puts them back together in a very different way. But it's
still magical, and it still was a great film. And even better, if you've
read the book, there's still suspense because the plot is different. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
""So that's what librarians do: Share knowledge. Share pleasure. Share
ideas for a better world." -- MaryLaine Block