Off topic RE: Ballet Shoes (was RE: DWJ sans frontiers)

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Tue Jul 5 12:39:47 EDT 2005

> Someone mentioned organs - to say, I think,  that it wasn't related -
> but I feel it could be related to organ stops (isn't that what the
> little round press in buttons are called) and perhaps some were called
> Swellers informally if they had the effect of swelling the music.
> Pretty far out in terms of guessing I suppose....

That was why I mentioned organs in the first place.  A "Stop" is the
control to select a rank of pipes, often in the form of a little round
button as you suggest.

A "Swell" (I have never heard it called a sweller) is an arrangement
where organ pipes are enclosed in a box, and you vary the volume by
opening and closing louvres on the box, usually with a foot pedal.  (I
once played an organ where you had to operate the swell by moving your
knee.  I never got the hang of it.)

But why "front"?  And why "Sweller" instead of "Swell"?  And what does
it mean at the end of it?

I've never read the book, BTW, so I have no idea whether the singing in
question was to be accompanied on an organ.

Philip.  (Still not very helpful, I'm afraid)

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the E.ON Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the E.ON Group.

E.ON UK plc, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

E.ON UK Trading Ltd, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

E.ON UK Trading Ltd is regulated by the Financial Services Authority to carry out investment activities.

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432