Off topic RE: Ballet Shoes (was RE: DWJ sans frontiers)

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Mon Jul 4 08:27:20 EDT 2005

> Totally off topic.
> Can somebody help me understand a joke in "Ballet Shoes"?
>
> Mr. Simpson says to Petrova: "If anybody asks us why we are singing,
> we'll say we are the S.F.S. league, the Stop, Front, Swellers."
>
> I assume this is somehow about car parts, but I feel there's something
> important that I'm missing here.

I know this won't be very helpful, but it makes no sense to me
interpreted as parts of either cars or organ consoles (which was my
immediate first thought).  Sorry!

> ObDW (far fetched): that bit where Vivian mistranslates her ancient
> document in Time City, and writes something about tossing about old
> irons, has special resonance for me as a translator.

"One large black smith threw four coffins about"?  I can imagine it
would - it's one of my favourite passages too.  Until I pointed it out,
though, my parents hadn't even noticed that Vivian had translated each
symbol reasonably well, merely without proper reference to the context.

OTOH Universal symbols appear to be an ideographic or logographic script
with a grammatical gender encoded in the script (the double age-symbol
always means time, except when it's female, when it means an age of the
world).  I think this is horrible!  (Presumably deliberately so)

Philip.

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the E.ON Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the E.ON Group.

E.ON UK plc, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

E.ON UK Trading Ltd, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

E.ON UK Trading Ltd is regulated by the Financial Services Authority to carry out investment activities.

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432