OT More Quizzes

hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 08:44:06 EST 2005

Gili

> My mother has a couple of doctoral students who wrote papers on whether
> people can tell "real" poetry from "fake", and whether people rate the same
> poem differently if they think it was written by a machine as opposed to a
> famous poet, and vice versa.

I spent a seminar last week discussing exactly this! Specifically, if the sea cast up some shells onto the beach in such a pattern that they resembled the written words of a Shakespeare sonnet, would it be a poem, or just a poem-shaped pattern? (John Searle discusses something like this, somewhere.) Ditto with monkeys and typewriters, I suppose. There was no consensus. Have your mother's students carried out experiments on people's reactions to this?

Charlie

--

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/