Best Books of 2004

Kathleen Jennings kathleen.jennings at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 01:23:42 EST 2005

Margaret Ball wrote:
(gah! book mutilation! I
> >would never even contemplate doing such a thing!)

My mother burnt a book once, on the basis that she couldn't possibly
recommend it to anyone, and there wasn't anything else to do with it!
We used a wood-burning stove, so it was very hard to do, but it is
comparatively difficult to burn books (or any other thick wad of
paper).

I, on the other hand, regularly buy old books (us. cheap hardcover
Nancy-Drew imitations) with the firm intention of ripping out the
pages and rebinding them as blank journals... but can never quite
bring myself to actually do so.

On bookburning: I found the memorial in Berlin almost eery - the room
below the square, lined with empty white bookcases.

Kathleen.