Best Books of 2004

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Sun Jan 30 23:53:28 EST 2005

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 12:48:24PM +0800, Paul Andinach wrote:
> "The True State of Affairs" by Diana Wynne Jones
>
> Like 'Ash', the story itself is great, but the frame let it down. I
> ended up being incredibly frustrated because we never learn the story
> of how the protagonist ended up in this place; I realise that it's
> extraneous to the story actually being told, but if it's so extraneous
> as all that, why make it part of the story at all?

I totally agree with this assessment.  I was left feeling I'd read the
middle of a book.  The set-up to how she ended up in the world would
have been interesting.  And at the end I was left asking "what happens
next?".  I enjoyed the bits I did read but I really felt as though I'd
ripped out the middle chapters of a book and thrown the covers away with
several chapters on each end still attached.   (gah! book mutilation! I
would never even contemplate doing such a thing!)

Allison