Best Books of 2004

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Jan 29 19:23:02 EST 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Kyra Jucovy wrote:

> I feel tempted to defend "The True State of Affairs" - I mostly find
> DWJ's shorter works very disappointing, but this one (and "The Girl
> Who Loved the Sun") really worked for me.  I think in part with "The
> True State of Affairs" it's the style, which seems very unlike her
> usual style but equally lovable and interesting.  And in part it's
> the thematic stuff - the contrast between expectations/hope and
> reality is something I really find interesting whenever it's done in
> literature.  So, while I can certainly see why people wouldn't like
> it, for me, it's a really powerful work that made a very positive
> impression.

I did like it, really - if we can agree that one can like a book
without being happy about the ending. :)

It's just that, like Minnow said, it felt incomplete; and I would have
liked it more if it hadn't.

(I noticed when I was writing my 2004 Books post that none of my
Disappointments were really bad books; they were all "good, but--"
books.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."