Anthologizing Update

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sat Jan 29 13:51:44 EST 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> Thank you!  I assume that means they've moved him to something a bit more
> next to Walter Pater, by any chance?  Or does he get stuck with following
> Swinburne, who might make him thoroughly unhappy as a neighbour?
Heh.  It goes Swinburne, Pater, Hopkins, actually.  It goes by birthdate,
you see.  Swinburne was 1837, Pater 1839, and Hopkins 1844.  I was
thinking of seizing a Pater quote for my .sig, but, on the other hand, I
really do like the Rubaiyat.  Decisions, decisions.

> That's a *terrible* question, and I can't easily choose between two.
I know, isn't it?  But it's such a very _obvious_ ObDWJ.

> *Fire and Hemlock* because it has so much about relationships of all sorts,
> and the importance of Truth-with-a-capital-T and the power of words and how
> not getting them right, or failing to understand them, may be disasterous,
> all again within the context of the need to grow up in order to deal with a
> problem.  (Tom grows up eventually.  :-)  )
I was thinking that it would be vaguely amusing to put in F&H along with
"The Heroic Ideal," in order to place F&H firmly in context within the
anthology ;-).  I have to admit that way back in the beginning of the
adventure when I got up to _The Faerie Queen_, I was very excited, largely
because it had been mentioned in "The Heroic Ideal."

> Of the short stories, "The Master", because it's going to go on being
> opaque for a good long time, probably.
Heh.  Yes, that's very true.

> Minnow
						---Kyra

---
"                   99
Ah, Love! could you and I with Him conspire
To grasp this sorry Scheme of Things entire,
  Would not we shatter it to bits - and then
Remold it nearer to the Heart's Desire!"
		---Edward FitzGerald, "The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam"