Anthologizing Update

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Jan 28 11:29:59 EST 2005

I actually got up to Gerald Manley Hopkins in the Norton last night.  The
introduction actually says that he was listed in the Modernist section of
the anthology as opposed to the Victorian from when the anthology was
first developed up until the late seventies.  I thought Minnow might like
to know ;-).

Also, even the fully Canonical anthology does include Lear and Carroll.  I
just failed to notice them earlier, silly me.

ObDWJ: So, it's the 23rd Century, and you are given the task of putting
together the big, Canonical anthology of literature from the late
20th-early 21st century.  Because DWJ is such a highly acclaimed author,
studied in literature courses around the world, of course she gets in.
But what particular work or works do you choose?  Keep in mind that the
Norton does include several reasonably short novels, so a full novel is
definitely an option.

						---Kyra

---
"                   99
Ah, Love! could you and I with Him conspire
To grasp this sorry Scheme of Things entire,
  Would not we shatter it to bits - and then
Remold it nearer to the Heart's Desire!"
		---Edward FitzGerald, "The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam"