Elsevier

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Mon Jan 24 15:43:03 EST 2005

In a message dated 1/24/2005 8:00:19 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:

> Okay, I give up; why do librarians hate Elsevier? I was trained in
> graduate school to think, "If Elsevier published it, it's probably a
> legitimate academic book with some real content."

Hideously overpriced. Monopolistic. Vastly expensive periodicals that one
supposedly Must Buy using up all the budget that might otherwise go on the kind
of periodicals one's friends actually get things published in. Same again where
books are concerned. Here's an example off ABE (note this is the *secondhand*
price):

Profile of the International Membrane Industry, Market Prospects to 2008
(ISBN:185617414X)
Sutherland, KenPrice: US$ 795.00

    Book Description: Elsevier, 2004. Paperback. Fine/No Jacket. 3rd. Large
Format. a new copy, publisher list price is over $1,400. Bookseller Inventory
#021980

Helen Schinske, who is not making this up