Elsevier

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jan 24 12:34:23 EST 2005

Roger wrote:
> This is one of the reasons why my employers exist (in the
> legal publishing rather than academic publishing side of
> things, but there are equivalent companies there too). We
> give away everything we can get hold of, absolutely free to
> any web user, with no advertising or registration or any of
> that garbage let alone subscription fees...

Yes, there are organisations that are "fighting back"; universities
starting journals intended to be free or cheap, and large projects that
are looking at different pricing models, such as charging acadmics to
publish and making the journals free. The trouble is that so far, these
are being used *as well as* the very expensive journals, rather than
replacing them...... (those darn academics, writing more papers! The
growth of the "publish or perish" culture and the damage this does to
scholarship is a whole other rant, of course.)
Jennifer