Elsevier

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Mon Jan 24 12:21:20 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:38:59AM -0500, deborah wrote:

>And Elsevier?  Elsevier says: "If you'd like this one very important
>journal, you have to subscribe to the following 450 unimportant
>journals.  If you'd like JAMA, we'll make sure it costs you hundreds of
>thousands of dollars a year contractually.  Also, here, sign this 15
>year contract and offer us your first born."

This is one of the reasons why my employers exist (in the legal
publishing rather than academic publishing side of things, but there
are equivalent companies there too). We give away everything we can get
hold of, absolutely free to any web user, with no advertising or
registration or any of that garbage let alone subscription fees...

Roger