SF as the only significant literature

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jan 24 06:19:47 EST 2005

Katie wrote:

> Or, if you have any other clearly sci-fi recommendations for my
> brother. He doesn't like scary books.

If you're still in the market for ideas- Margaret Mahy's Aliens in the Family seems to be out of print, but is excellent if you can get it. (An alien is stuck on earth- I don't think it's scary, although he is being pursued).
I agree about Pratchett's Only You can Save Mankind. There's also Nicholas Fisk- Trillions, or Space Hostages.
Otherwise, I think that most of the SF I read as a child was YA or adult, rather than written for children.
Jennifer