Somebody is doing a book search.

ROSLYN rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jan 22 21:04:26 EST 2005

  I agree that, depsite the iron lung, it must be _Marianne Dreams_ by Catherine Storr. I read somewhere that it's so dark and creepy because the writer was a psychoanalyst. :-) I'm fairly sure that her husband is/was Anthony Storry, a psycholanalyst who's written books, one of which I have somewhere...
  Ros

  Someone sent me an inquery regarding a children's fantasy book that she is trying to find. It rang no bells with me, but it sounds unique enough to me that if anyone here *has* read it, they'd probably recall enough to do a reasonable Google search on it.

  >>I was wondering if you could help me locate a children's book I fell in love with years ago. I don’t remember the title, but I do remember the plot - mysterious and spooky. I have tried every buzz word I can think of on google and amazon, but I come up empty = so here goes:

  This was a book I read in the 1970's but was older than that - its story line was about a girl who is in the hospital (an iron lung perhaps) who has no one to talk to and nothing to play with until she is given a pencil and a pad or notebook of paper -- she draws a mysterious land and when she sleeps she is there - - she gives the rocks in her mysterious land eyes with which to see... and the adventures start - -  towards the end, things turn dark and there is another little boy in the dream world - (and apparently in the hospital) - and before she is released she draws the pencil into the last drawing so that the little boy can have it - it appears in the dream world and when she awakens its no longer in her hospital room.

  I assume because there was reference to an iron lung that the book is pre 1970s and perhaps British - if you have ANY ideas as to the name or author of this book, I would love to re-discover it again - - it was mesmerizing.<<