Somebody is doing a book search.

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sat Jan 22 16:35:05 EST 2005

JOdel wrote:

>Someone sent me an inquery regarding a children's fantasy book that she is
>trying to find. It rang no bells with me, but it sounds unique enough to
>me that
>if anyone here *has* read it, they'd probably recall enough to do a
>reasonable Google search on it.
>
>>>I was wondering if you could help me locate a children's book I fell in
>love with years ago. I don’Äôt remember the title, but I do remember the
>plot -
>mysterious and spooky. I have tried every buzz word I can think of on
>google and
>amazon, but I come up empty = so here goes:
>
>This was a book I read in the 1970's but was older than that - its story line
>was about a girl who is in the hospital (an iron lung perhaps) who has no one
>to talk to and nothing to play with until she is given a pencil and a pad or
>notebook of paper -- she draws a mysterious land and when she sleeps she is
>there - - she gives the rocks in her mysterious land eyes with which to see...
>and the adventures start - -¬Ý towards the end, things turn dark and there is
>another little boy in the dream world - (and apparently in the hospital) - and
>before she is released she draws the pencil into the last drawing so that the
>little boy can have it - it appears in the dream world and when she
>awakens its
>no longer in her hospital room.¬Ý
>
>I assume because there was reference to an iron lung that the book is pre
>1970s and perhaps British - if you have ANY ideas as to the name or author of
>this book, I would love to re-discover it again - - it was mesmerizing.<<

This has to be *Marianne Dreams* (1958) by Catherine Storr.  It came out in
Puffin in, in, 1964 in a revised edition.

There isn't any iron lung in it, but the rocks-with-eyes, and the drawing
the pencil into the other person's dream at the end, are too definite for
it to be any other book, I'm fairly sure.

Minnow