OT: editing question/ SF Xmas book

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sat Jan 22 14:52:52 EST 2005

Laurie asked...

> This list seems like it has had some editors (professional and otherwise),
> so i thought you might be a good place to direct this question to. A
> research group at the University I am currently working for (in Spain),
> has asked me as a native English speaker to edit their forthcoming book.
> Yesterday they asked me to give them an idea of how much I should be paid
> for this work, and if I want to be paid by the hour, the word, etc. I
> honestly have no idea what the goign rate (or a fair rate) is for this
> kind of thing.  Basically, it is proofreading more than anything else, but
> I am checking the format of citations, etc, so it does take some time.
> Does anyone have any idea as to what a fair rate to charge is?

Well, about 10 or 12 years ago, the going rate for translation was between
50 and 100 pounds per page (I found this out because I was doing some
translation at the time).  I don't know if copy-editing (which is what
you're doing sounds like) would be comparable - though I can ask a
copy-editor I know if you like.  But FWIW...

Dorian.