trash vs literature

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sat Jan 22 14:12:07 EST 2005

Margaret said...

> Well, let's put it this way: I am fairly sure my brain has two language
> compartments, one marked "English" and one marked "Everything Else."
> When called upon to produce a phrase from the second compartment, it is
> liable to pull out not the appropriate language for the situation, but
> whatever language was used last and is therefore lying on top of the
> heap. While this is normally no more than a nuisance, it has on occasion
> produced some *extremely* tense moments, like the time I spoke German in
> Crete. In a very small isolated mountain village. In 1966. (The Cretans
> were still pretty ticked off at the Germans at that time.)

I know how you feel.  When I was 14 or so I went on a three-week exchange
trip to Germany (which did *wonders* for my German).  When I got back, my
Irish teacher called upon me in Irish class to tell the rest of the class
(in Irish, of course) about my trip.  Could I remember any Irish?  I tried
to tell the class about my trip in a mad mixture of Irish and German (mostly
German).  After the third mangled sentence the teacher made me sit down and
shut up!

Dorian.