Happy dance of joy

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sat Jan 22 13:44:10 EST 2005

Minnow said...

> with
> the exception of *Cousin Kate*, which nobody seems to think is a good
place
> to start.

Well, I wouldn't say it is, unless the newreader is a fan of
yucky-Gothic-ness.  And even then, it's so unlike pretty much all the rest
of her work that said newreader will likely be peeved when he/she reads
"Arabella" or "These Old Shades" or whatever.

> ObDWJ: she shares with me a personal un-favourite: *Regency Buck* is early
> work, rather melodramatic and overdone and with a hero who's a MCP pain
and
> a heroine who's a sap, and includes too much infodump obviously lifted
> straight from period guide-books and contemporary accounts of London life.
> It also has Beau Brummell as one of the main secondary characters, and
> includes him saying most of the things everyone knows he said, but
> shoehorned into the situations in the book; for some reason that puts me
> out quite badly, but it might not bother anyone else (except DWJ).

Well, I'm rather fond of "Regency Buck", personally.  I have to say that I
don't think the mystery is worked very well; there are no clues to the
reader about the natures of the two men that would allow the proper "ah-ha"
moment when All Is Revealed (in fact, I recall the denoument confusing me
mightily when I first read it!).  But I love the descriptions of London High
Society, I love Beau Brummell, I go all gooey over the scene in the Pavilion
when the heroine faints...  It's not one of my top favourites, but I
certainly wouldn't put it as an "un-favourite".

I think it's time to go find my copy of "These Old Shades" and indulge in an
orgy of utter melodrama and sentimentality. :-)

Dorian.