SF as the only significant literature

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sat Jan 22 12:36:54 EST 2005

Katie said...

> My brother is supposed to do a Science Fiction Book Report for school.
> He is 10 years old.  He was asking me if there was any sci-fi DWJ he
> could read.  The report really calls for a book with very typical
> sci-fi elements, because his class is  learning how to know what genre
> a book is.  Of course, DWJ is not quite right for this, because her
> books are so unique and harder to categorize.  But I was wondering
> which book you all think has the most science-fiction to it?  Or, if
> you have any other clearly sci-fi recommendations for my brother.  He
> doesn't like scary books.

I think "A Tale of Time City" is probably the most obviously sci-fi of DWJ's
books (that I can think of off-hand, anyway).  Don't know how your brother
would get on with it, though - I have no idea about reading ages and all
that stuff, but I have the impression it's aimed at a slightly older
readership than 10-year-olds.

On sci-fi in general, one of my favourite kids' SF stories is Arthur C.
Clarke's "Islands in the Sky", about a boy who wins a trip to a space
station.  It's not even too badly dated, and a lot of fun.  I like John
Christopher's stuff too, but I wonder if things like the Tripods might not
be too scary for your brother (what exactly does he mean by scary or find
scary?).  Oh, H. M. Hoover as well; I loved "Children of Morrow" when I was
10 or 12.  And some of John Wyndham's might suit; "The Chrysalids", perhaps.

HTH

Dorian.