Crap books and good books (was Re: Best Books of 2004)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sat Jan 22 11:54:42 EST 2005

Margaret said...

> I developed a system for commenting on gift books: Know how it starts,
> know how it comes out, and think of something nice to say about the
> middle. That usuallly satisfies all but the true leeches, who want to
> know *exactly* how you reacted to Christianella's rejection of the Lord
> Primary of Astellar in Chapter 13. Anybody got a solution for that?

I have a system for dealing with friends who bounce up to me and say "Do you
like my new dress?" and I think it's hideous.  I say "It does things for
you."  (I don't say *what* things!)  On similar principles, maybe you could
claim you found the whateveritwas "very moving" and refrain from mentioning
that it moved you to throw the book across the room. :-)

Dorian.