Enduring vs Enjoying

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Jan 22 06:34:23 EST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> And didn't we have a conversation here a while back about why it
> should be that funny books almost never seem to make it into the
> Literature category? It's as though something that moves the reader
> to laughter could never make a serious point, in the eyes of the
> literary snobs.

It's also been suggested[1] that comedy falls foul of the idea that it
isn't Worthy if it didn't involve Hard Work, because the Guardians of
Worthiness are unaware of how much hard work it is to make great
comedy look so easy and spontaneous.

----
[1] When I saw it, it was in a discussion about why comedy does poorly
at the Oscars.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."