trash vs literature

ROSLYN rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jan 22 00:11:46 EST 2005

> Well, let's put it this way: I am fairly sure my brain has two language
> compartments, one marked "English" and one marked "Everything Else." When
> called upon to produce a phrase from the second compartment, it is liable
> to pull out not the appropriate language for the situation, but whatever
> language was used last and is therefore lying on top of the heap. While
> this is normally no more than a nuisance, it has on occasion produced some
> *extremely* tense moments, like the time I spoke German in Crete. In a
> very small isolated mountain village. In 1966. (The Cretans were still
> pretty ticked off at the Germans at that time.)
>
> --
> Margaret Ball

I once (many years ago when I still had both a brain and enough money to
travel) attempted to speak French in Paris, and only later realised that I
was declining (if that's the right word) a Hebrew word with a French ending!
(or maybe it was the other way around...) At the time I couldn't work out
why the Parisian was looking at me with such incomprehension...

Ros