tv vs books

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Fri Jan 21 23:54:53 EST 2005

> On Tuesday, January 18, 2005, at 02:54 PM, Margaret Ball wrote:
>
>> And my husband, who Knows Everything, doesn't read fiction or poetry.
>> Um. Let me rephrase that. He has an extremely short set of Acceptable
>> Fiction, comprising the works of C.S. Forester, Howard Fast, and
>> Nevil Shute; the Greek novels of Mary Renault; the John Marsden YA
>> series about Australia being invaded; Cynthia Voight's _Homecoming_
>> and the sequels; and, as of this year, Tracy Chevalier's _The Girl
>> With a Pearl Earring_.   And that's it.
>

> Have you tried him with Patrick O'Brien?  Ever so much better than
> Forester, I think, although of course he may not agree.

Neither of us cares for Patrick O'Brien, though we tried to. Something
about the writing style annoys the heck out of both of us.

Last night I was watching a DVD of Cosi Fan Tutte when he came home from
his T'ai Ch'i class, and after the usual dance of "I'll turn it off if
it's bothering you," and "No, no, go right ahead, I can ignore it," (the
TV is in the same little room as his computer, though this may need to
change now that he's retired and home nearly all the time) he started
reading his newsgroups while I continued listening to Despina's plans to
outwit Dorabella and Fiordiligi. After a few minutes I noticed that his
eyes had drifted to the screen. After a few more minutes he said, "Those
girls are being set up big time," which I thought was a pretty good
summary of the plot!

--
Margaret Ball

It's finished! The bead embroidery book is here. Lots of pretty pictures at
http://www.flameweaver.com/embeadery.html