trash vs literature

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Fri Jan 21 23:43:45 EST 2005

> Monolingual and bilingual brains differ, certainly, but I'm not
> sure one is stunted.

Well, let's put it this way: I am fairly sure my brain has two language
compartments, one marked "English" and one marked "Everything Else."
When called upon to produce a phrase from the second compartment, it is
liable to pull out not the appropriate language for the situation, but
whatever language was used last and is therefore lying on top of the
heap. While this is normally no more than a nuisance, it has on occasion
produced some *extremely* tense moments, like the time I spoke German in
Crete. In a very small isolated mountain village. In 1966. (The Cretans
were still pretty ticked off at the Germans at that time.)

--
Margaret Ball

It's finished! The bead embroidery book is here. Lots of pretty pictures at
http://www.flameweaver.com/embeadery.html