Happy dance of joy

Belben, Philip ( Energy Wholesale ) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Fri Jan 21 10:33:34 EST 2005

Widdy asked:

> Having been thoroughly smitten with Bujold's books (more Miles!) at
the
> recommendation of this list and noticing that many on this list love
> Heyer (as do Bujold and Connie Willis) . . .
>
> Where should I start with Heyer? Which book should I seek out first?

Well, my favourites are "False Colours", "The Grand Sophy" and "The Toll
Gate";  From periods other than the Regency I'd recommend "The
Masqueraders" and "The Conqueror", although these aren't really typical
of her work.

"Venetia" and "The Unknown Ajax" are also good, and likely to be among
your favourites if "Fire and Hemlock" is your favourite DWJ.

My parents would recommend "Arabella" and "Cotillion", but I find the
humour in those two a little forced.  I'd prefer "The Nonesuch".

The list can be made as long as you like.  Well, almost.  "Friday's
Child", "The Corinthian", "Sylvester", "Bath Tangle" (the first I read),
"Black Sheep", "Lady of Quality" (a re-write of the "Black Sheep" theme,
and not quite as good in my view), ...

Enjoy!

Philip.

PS Talking of "The Grand Sophy", does anyone else think that Miles
Vorkosigan is descended from Sophy Stanton-Lacy?

PPS all you women swooning over Miles Vorkosigan, when I keep expecting
you all to fall for Gregor.  Oh well...

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the E.ON Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the E.ON Group.

E.ON UK plc, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

E.ON UK Trading Ltd, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

E.ON UK Trading Ltd is regulated by the Financial Services Authority to carry out investment activities.

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432