Happy dance of joy

Belben, Philip ( Energy Wholesale ) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Fri Jan 21 10:15:47 EST 2005

> One day last year our local Sally Ann shop had twenty-something of
> them (most in dust jackets, many 1st edition) that they were going to
> *throw away* because they didn't think anyone would want old fiction
> like that! They'd put one out on the rack to see if it sold, and when
> I pounced on it with squeaks of excitement they casually said "oh,
> there are some more in a box somewhere, if you want them you can have
> them".   I insisted on paying for them, but they refused to take more
> than a tenner for the whole lot.

Eeek!  People who behave like that shouldn't be allowed to have charge
of books.  Read them, yes - I wouldn't ban anyone from reading - but
someone else should be in charge!

> I'm collecting the 1960s/1970s Pan paperbacks with the oval designs on
> the covers, the edition I had in the first place, because after I
> inherited a complete set of hardbacks from an aunt I foolishly gave
> away the set I already had, and then discovered that although the
> hardbacks may be better for staying in one piece, the words are in the
> wrong places on the page and I can't look things up so fast in them.
> 22 down, 13 to go, I think.

I know the feeling, but for me the advantages of hardback outweigh the
disadvantages.  I have a mixture of first editions, reprints, and book
club editions.  The important one is my copy of "An Infamous Army" with
the maps on the endpapers.  (The genealogy in "Beauvallet" is nice, but
less important because it contradicts the text.)

> The four non-regency non-detective ones are rumoured to be in print at
> the moment (if you really want *Instead of the Thorn*, *Helen*,
> *Pastel* and *Barren Corn* I could try to find out where) and the

No thanks, I'll have a look at my usual sources first.  ("Pastel" is the
title I always forget)

Hmm.  "Non-regency, non-detective" must be "The Conquerer", "Royal
Escape", "Beauvallet", "These old Shades", "The Black Moth", "The
Masqueraders"... there are loads!  And I don't count "The Talisman
Ring", although it's set before the Regency, because it is also one of
her better detective stories.

> Joan Aiken Hodge
> biography-ish *The Private World of Georgette Heyer* has just been

Mama has that, so I can borrow it whenever I want to re-read it.  Wrong
sister, BTW.  It was Jane Aiken, not Joan, who married a Hodge and wrote
the Heyer biography.  (And, unlike most on this list I think, I like
JAH's books better than those of Joan)

Philip.

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the E.ON Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the E.ON Group.

E.ON UK plc, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

E.ON UK Trading Ltd, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

E.ON UK Trading Ltd is regulated by the Financial Services Authority to carry out investment activities.

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432