Australia Word Map

ROSLYN rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jan 21 05:03:39 EST 2005

http://www.abc.com.au/wordmap/

Found this fascinating site, part of the (Aussie) ABC page, about Australian
regional words! You can add words/expressions and comments, and there are
maps for the use of all kinds of words (eg thongs, bathers, alleys,). One
thing I notice is that there is a commonality between Victoria and South
Australia--egs are skippy, bathers, baths, elastics--lots of these were
words I remember using in the 50s and 60s as a kid. (Maybe the commonality
is due to the relative geographic closeness of Melbourne and Adelaide.) I
just entered "witches' britches"!

Ros