Recommendation request

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Jan 20 22:04:08 EST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Katie Meyers wrote:

> I envy people who have all my favorite books still to read.  This is why
> I get vicarious pleasure out of making my brothers read my favorite
> books.  I bother them by asking all the time what part they are at, and
> what they think about the book at that moment.  And by making lists of
> what they should read next.

Hee! I do that too. Not to my brothers, because I don't have any; but to
my friends and family. I made my boyfriend read all of DWJ's books, pretty
soon after we started dating. But he lent me all of Lois McMaster Bujold's
books, so it wasn't that it was an unequal thing. :^)

>   On the other hand, if you re-read a book with your memories intact,
> you can have the fun of building on your first impressions, and
> noticing and understanding more.  For example, I enjoy re-reading DWJ
> books with surprise endings, because then I notice all the little hints
> throughout the book that refer to the surprise (a certain Dalemark
> horse, the Goon, Venturus)!  Hexwood is great to re-read because of all
> the connections.

Indeed. This is part of why I like rereading books. Then there's rereading
books years later, so one has a different perspective--for example, I
loved Edward Eager's books when I was young. I reread them last year or
so, and while I don't think I would have liked them if I'd read them for
the first time then, I liked noticing "oh, hey, this takes place in the
'20s! This is why the car was so unusual, and why Jane and Katharine,
grown up, are drawn as flappers!"

The one sort of book I'd really like to have a memory wipe for is
mysteries, the kind where the solution is so brilliant and sudden and
fabulous that you'll never get that flash of "oh my GOD that is so cool"
again, because you know it's coming, because it's so cool that you
remember it. My major example of this is Jonathan Gash's _The Judas Pair_.