Crap books and good books (was Re: Best Books of 2004)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jan 20 21:23:11 EST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Otter Perry wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 19, 2005, at 07:37 PM, Paul Andinach wrote:

[The Bourne Identity]

> > I'd already read the book when I saw the movie, and it was an odd
> > experience: I kept thinking I ought to be upset by all the changes
> > they'd made, but I wasn't, because it was a good film, well-made,
> > and I could see why they'd made the changes they did.
>
> Does anybody else in the world remember there was an earlier film of
> this -- or it may have been a tv mini-series -- with Richard
> Chamberlain?

TV mini-series. It came out on video about the same time as the Matt
Damon movie hit the cinemas (total coincidence, I'm sure), and I
bought it for comparison purposes. I wish I hadn't now, because while
it was interesting, I don't think I'm going to watch it a second time.

In a way, it's a careful-what-you-wish-for situation. The mini-series
keeps all the bits I wished while watching the movie that the movie
had kept -- for one thing, it's got David Webb in it  :) -- but I
don't like it as much as either the movie or the book.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."