trash vs literature

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu Jan 20 20:10:54 EST 2005

On Thursday, January 20, 2005, at 03:48 PM, Katie Meyers wrote:

> I am learning Spanish in school.  We have read chapters from Don
> Quijote.  My grandpa says I should have taken French because there is
> more Literature.

Depends on why you want to know a language.  If you want to get
a job that demands another language, Spanish is a good one to
have, even in the NE.  But down here in the SW, it's _really_
valuable.  I wish I knew Spanish.

And another thing -- there are many languages that you
couldn't read 16th century lit in at this stage -- English is
one.  I don't know about French.

... the Bible is full of literature's two great
themes, love and death (as well as its
exciting cariacatures, sex and violence) ...

                                       - Thomas Cahill