DDPs

Judith Ridge Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Thu Jan 20 18:46:09 EST 2005

>> Ah, another DDP (dialectically displaced person).

My soon-to-be-ex-brother-in-law was born and raised in Ryton-on-Tyne, but
his schoolteacher mother "beat" the Geordie out of him and his brothers. He
can bung it on though; at my wedding he read a section from Jane Eyre, the
bit at the end about "perfect concord" or whatever (yeah, right, that was an
excellent prediction for the marriage, not!) --anyway, in the car after the
reception on the way to the
invite-everyone-we-couldn't-afford-to-have-at-the-wedding party he read it
again for us‹‹in broad Northern accent, complete with dialect replacements
for some of the words. It was pretty funny. Maybe you had to be there...

Judith Ridge
Editorial Staff
The School Magazine
PO Box 1928