SF as the only significant literature

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Jan 20 18:18:05 EST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Katie Meyers wrote:

> My brother is supposed to do a Science Fiction Book Report for school.
> He is 10 years old.  He was asking me if there was any sci-fi DWJ he
> could read.  The report really calls for a book with very typical
> sci-fi elements, because his class is  learning how to know what genre
> a book is.  Of course, DWJ is not quite right for this, because her
> books are so unique and harder to categorize.  But I was wondering
> which book you all think has the most science-fiction to it?  Or, if
> you have any other clearly sci-fi recommendations for my brother.  He
> doesn't like scary books.

I actually remember discovering H. M. Hoover at around that age because of
precisely that sort of report.  I think she's been discussed on the list
at some point in the distant past, though I don't know when, but she's a
very neat kids' SF writer.  I haven't read them in years, but I still have
extremely positive memories of them and would definitely  recommend them
to a ten-year-old.

					---Kyra

---
Prometheus: "Grief for awhile is blind and so was mine. / I wish no living
thing to suffer pain."
			---Percy Bysshe Shelley, _Prometheus Unbound_