SF as the only significant literature

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jan 20 17:50:54 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 05:40:07PM -0500, Allison Marles wrote:
> What about The Chrysalids by John Wyndham.  I suppose some part of
> that might count as scary depending on the person.  Another idea
> is A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle.

Thinking more ... does Tom's Midnight Garden count because of TIme
Travel ?

There was another book I remember reading about a futuristic world
where all these students get "assigned jobs" depending on their
skills.  And there's this weird game that they find out about
playing.  I forget who wrote the book, but it might be called
"The Game".  I remember more, but I don't want to give away
any surprises since I totally recommend it.  Does this sound
familiar to anyone ?  I can't find it by googling.

Phillip Pullman's The Golden Compass might count, although again
it seems like sci-fi crossed with fantasy.

Allison