SF as the only significant literature

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jan 20 17:40:07 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 11:27:32PM +0100, Irina Rempt wrote:
> On Thursday 20 January 2005 23:15, Katie Meyers wrote:
>
> > My brother is supposed to do a Science Fiction Book Report for
> > school. He is 10 years old.  He was asking me if there was any sci-fi
> > DWJ he could read.  The report really calls for a book with very
> > typical sci-fi elements, because his class is  learning how to know
> > what genre a book is.  Of course, DWJ is not quite right for this,
> > because her books are so unique and harder to categorize.  But I was
> > wondering which book you all think has the most science-fiction to
> > it?
>
> I was going to say _Hexwood_, but it might be too old for him, and *I*
> think it's scary. Perhaps _Archer's Goon_ which has a spaceship in it,
> or _Dogsbody_ because it's about stars, or <mind blanks for a bit, go
> look at bookcase> _A Tale of Time City_ with time travel and clearly
> far-future themes.

I would say any of those you mentioned, although they could also be
categorized as fantasy.  It is hard to pin a label on DWJ books.
Maybe "Ogre Downstairs" since it's based on the strange chemicals ?
A Sudden Wild Magic is a cross between fantasy and sci-fi, but I'd
say it's almost definitely "too old" for a 10 year old.

> > Or, if you have any other clearly sci-fi recommendations for my
> > brother.  He doesn't like scary books.

What about The Chrysalids by John Wyndham.  I suppose some part of
that might count as scary depending on the person.  Another idea
is A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle.

Allison