Recommendation request

Katie Meyers kgmeyers at optonline.net
Thu Jan 20 17:34:57 EST 2005

<<
> There are some books I would kill
> to be able to read again for the first time.

Wouldn't it be lovely to have a selective memory wiper, so that one
could (for instance) erase the entire Miles Vorkosigan sequence from
memory, and reread it from the beginning? >>

There was a story about this in Analog sometime in the last few years-
it ends up being not such a great idea in the story, partly, if I
remember right, for commercial reasons.  I am very frustrated because I
can't remember the title.  I just remember the character watching for
the not-really-first time the movie Casablanca.
I would like to be able to read something for the first time again.  I
envy people who have all my favorite books still to read.  This is why
I get vicarious pleasure out of making my brothers read my favorite
books.  I bother them by asking all the time what part they are at, and
what they think about the book at that moment.  And by making lists of
what they should read next.
  On the other hand, if you re-read a book with your memories intact,
you can have the fun of building on your first impressions, and
noticing and understanding more.  For example, I enjoy re-reading DWJ
books with surprise endings, because then I notice all the little hints
throughout the book that refer to the surprise (a certain Dalemark
horse, the Goon, Venturus)!  Hexwood is great to re-read because of all
the connections.