trash vs literature

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jan 20 14:22:36 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 02:27:23AM -0600, Margaret Ball wrote:
> >My mother is a bit like that. She had to stop watching ER because all
> >the running around with patients made her crazy
>

> This reminds me of one circumstance in which I did like to watch TV.
> Some time in the late sixties/early seventies I was sharing a house with
> a girl whose brother-in-law was a doctor, and if you could get him to
> come over and sit down after dinner, he turned medical shows into active
> entertainment. The poor man was always leaping up and down screaming,
> "Not that way, you're going to kill him!" or alternatively, "Why are you
> bothering, he's been dead since before the last commercial?"
>
> Hmm. One of our current friends is a DA. When Jim gets cut loose from
> his current jury trial, maybe I could persuade him to come over and
> watch a legal show with us...

haha.  My boyfriend and I enjoy mocking tv shows and movies when they
are portraying "computer hackers".  It's just *so* laughable.  I assume
it must be the same for doctors or lawyers watching shows about their
professions. (for the record, we are computer developers, not "hackers",
unless you mean in the traditional good sense of the word).

Allison