Crap books and good books

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jan 20 12:26:35 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 10:33:27AM -0500, deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Otter Perry wrote:
> |I think Literary Snobbery has value.  I am a recovering Intellectual
> |Snob
> |and it certainly caused me to read books I would never have read
> |otherwise, many of which were well worth reading.  And some turned
> |out to be very enjoyable indeed, like _War and Peace_.  [Although
> |the last time I tried to reread it, I got tired very fast of all those
> |Russians whining about their souls, which is not a good frame of
> |mind to approach it with, so I stopped.]  The history stuff is some of
> |the best part, I think.
>
> Last time I was unemployed, I made myself, on every trip to the library,
> bring back one book from the "literature" rack (tiny branch library
> which had a separate small rack for Vintage Press books and other oddly
> shaped trade paperbacks with nicely textured covers, which, as we all
> know, means they have High Literary Value).  Many of them I never
> finished, but if I hadn't started the practice, and never would have
> picked up _Remains of the Day_ which I absolutely loved. I hated _The
> English Patient_, though.
>
> -deborah

This sounds like a good thing to do.   Although the books I usually pick
for myself to read are fantasy or sci-fi, I have frequently read other
lit that is recommended to me and enjoyed it highly.  I also remember,
barring 1 book (to mentioned later), that I enjoyed all the books I had
to read for school.  Even books that other people had trouble with, I
found easy to "get into" and really enjoy.  Like Jean Val Jean in gr.7
... I was one of the few in my class who actually liked reading it.
Same goes for the Grapes of Wrath in high school.  The one book I did
not like at all, was Madeleine L'Engle's A Wind in the Door (I did like
A Wrinkle in Time and A Swiftly Tilting Planet, which I had read prior
to being assigned A Wind in the Door in gr.5 or 6).

Allison