Crap books and good books (was Re: Best Books of 2004)

Thu Jan 20 11:51:45 EST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:37:02 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>> Anyway, after the first of the year I finally read _The Bourne
>> Identity_ and it restored my faith in thriller writers.  :)
>> And poor Marie really got shafted in her character's translation to
>> the big screen.
>
>I'd already read the book when I saw the movie, and it was an odd
>experience: I kept thinking I ought to be upset by all the changes
>they'd made, but I wasn't, because it was a good film, well-made, and
>I could see why they'd made the changes they did.

I agree.  I still enjoyed the movie (I saw both of them first, which is why
I got the book) and I think I would like watching it again after reading the
book.  The thing is, when I saw the first movie, I really, really despised
Marie.  I could not understand why he kept her around when she was so
helpless.  She's so much cooler in the book, and competent and smart and
useful.  That's a change I really didn't like.

>But I still prefer the book. For one thing, it's got David Webb in it.

Naturally.  :)

Melissa Proffitt