Enduring vs Enjoying

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Jan 20 11:45:42 EST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Kyra Jucovy wrote:

> It may be that humor just takes longer to make it in, for some reason?  As
> I've mentioned before, I am now making my way through the canon as defined
> by the Norton anthologies.  Gilbert and Sullivan (err, or, given the
> lack of instrumentation, perhaps I ought to just say Gilbert?) makes it
> in, which is not too shabby.  And some reasonably funny Swift poems (Swift
> would be an exception to my general distaste for that horrible eighteenth
> century).  And in the Anthology of Poetry, we even get Lewis Carroll and
> Lear's limericks and Ogden Nash!  But perhaps the Anthology of Poetry
> feels less of a responsibility to Define the Canon.
>
> 					---Kyra

And, it occurred to me on the train, the Norton Anthology also includes
the entirety of _The Importance of Being Ernest_.  Which I forgot to
mention because, well, isn't it obvious that it's Canon?  I mean, I
studied it in college.  It hardly even seemed worth remarking upon.  But,
of course, when I first learned that I was going to get to study it in
college, it was shocking, because it was one of the funniest things I'd
ever read, and I just assumed that things like that weren't allowed to be
part of the Canon.  So I suppose both parts of this story are telling, in
different ways.

				---Kyra

---
Prometheus: "Grief for awhile is blind and so was mine. / I wish no living
thing to suffer pain."
			---Percy Bysshe Shelley, _Prometheus Unbound_