Thu Jan 20 11:31:24 EST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:44:05 EST, JOdel at aol.com wrote:

>> I ask because if I have understood rightly (and the book hasn't come my
>> way, so I haven't read it) _The Da Vinci Code_ has set up a group of people who
>> really exist, and used them as the villains.  Am I wrong?  Opus Dei?
>>
>> It isn't that I am a member, or even that I know any, but that seems to me
>> to be a dangerous game to play, in that encouraging a dislike and mistrust of
>> real people on the basis of a fictional account of their doings mixed in with
>> a bit of fact (accurate data about when they were founded, where they are to
>> be found, that sort of thing) is altogether too likely to go too far.
>>
>That anything like A. Conan Doyle in "The Vally of Fear" with the Mormons?

Hey, bad press is better than nothing...oh, wait, no it isn't.

Though I don't know many average people who've actually read that story.
Including myself.  I probably should; there's some good scholarly work on
how Mormons are represented in 19th and early 20th century fiction.  And in
film, too.

Melissa Proffitt