Crap books and good books (was Re: Best Books of 2004)

Thu Jan 20 10:48:38 EST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:33:27 -0500 (EST), deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

>Last time I was unemployed, I made myself, on every trip to the library,
>bring back one book from the "literature" rack (tiny branch library
>which had a separate small rack for Vintage Press books and other oddly
>shaped trade paperbacks with nicely textured covers, which, as we all
>know, means they have High Literary Value).  Many of them I never
>finished, but if I hadn't started the practice, and never would have
>picked up _Remains of the Day_ which I absolutely loved. I hated _The
>English Patient_, though.

Hah!  Me too.  I made a valiant effort, but after fifty pages of wanting to
beat the hero about the ears, I decided I must not be enjoying it very much.

_Remains of the Day_ is still on my list.  I do try to pick up "literary"
books occasionally, mostly because I like to read widely, but also because,
as you mention, sometimes you find a real gem.

Melissa Proffitt