Holiday Reading

Thu Jan 20 10:39:59 EST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:25:53 -0500, Hendon, Alison wrote:

>I never thought I would like Bujold either.  Space opera I said.  And then I
>read A Civil Campaign with its homage to Austen and Heyer (Melissa - Jacob -
>are you there?)  And I was completely hooked.

hahahahaha, our evil plan is working....

> I actually read the series
>backwards in time, then forwards.  I think that Cordelia's Hono(u)r can be a
>tough one to start with because I found it hard to get to know the
>characters, plus Cordelia isn't the focus of the rest of the series (IMHO).
>If you really want to try to get into Barrayar, try a later book (Komarr is
>a good one too.)

I started with _Barrayar_ in serial form, Asimov's or something like that
that my roommate subscribed to, only missing one of the middle parts.  Then
I sort of bounced around reading the earlier novels as I could find them.  I
didn't settle in to reading them in order until _Mirror Dance_, and then
reading them as they came out.

I usually start people with _The Warrior's Apprentice_ simply because I
found the snowball effect of Miles's actions extremely amusing and easy to
get caught up in.  But you just never know.

Melissa Proffitt