Crap books and good books (was Re: Best Books of 2004)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Thu Jan 20 10:33:27 EST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Otter Perry wrote:
|I think Literary Snobbery has value.  I am a recovering Intellectual
|Snob
|and it certainly caused me to read books I would never have read
|otherwise, many of which were well worth reading.  And some turned
|out to be very enjoyable indeed, like _War and Peace_.  [Although
|the last time I tried to reread it, I got tired very fast of all those
|Russians whining about their souls, which is not a good frame of
|mind to approach it with, so I stopped.]  The history stuff is some of
|the best part, I think.

Last time I was unemployed, I made myself, on every trip to the library,
bring back one book from the "literature" rack (tiny branch library
which had a separate small rack for Vintage Press books and other oddly
shaped trade paperbacks with nicely textured covers, which, as we all
know, means they have High Literary Value).  Many of them I never
finished, but if I hadn't started the practice, and never would have
picked up _Remains of the Day_ which I absolutely loved. I hated _The
English Patient_, though.

-deborah
--
Sir! I protest! I am _not_ a merry man!