Americanisms (was RE: Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Jan 20 10:28:24 EST 2005

Anita wrote:

>I still use Strinisms sometimes, but not many people understand. (Emma? ,
>short for Emma Chisit, or How much is it?)

The Great God Aorta is part of my family's vocabulary.  I have no idea
whether it came from either Weird Mob or Strine, though.  It might have the
same source as the Australian Housewife's Prayer as used occasionally by my
mother: "Dear Lord, when I reach the end of my tether, please be waiting at
the other end", which makes no sense if you look at it carefully but
*exactly* conveys the feeling.  Does anyone know where she might have
picked that one up from if it wasn't one of the two books?

Minnow