trash vs literature

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu Jan 20 10:32:40 EST 2005

On Thursday, January 20, 2005, at 01:03 AM, Margaret Ball wrote:

>> English is, and was then, completely transparent. I often can't
>> remember whether I've read something in English, Dutch or even
>> German, making it difficult to find a book when I only know what it
>> was about, not what it was called.
>>

> You have the eternal and admiring envy of this language-challenged
> american who cannot read a book in ANY language other than english
> without muttering the syllables under my breath.  I think being raised
> monolingual stunts vital areas of the brain.

I can't read a book in any language other than English whether
I mutter the syllables or not.  [And I can mutter in Latin, Greek,
and Russian, for all the good it does me.]

Monolingual and bilingual brains differ, certainly, but I'm not
sure one is stunted.  Being monolingual is definitely limiting,
though.