OT: editing question/ SF Xmas book

Laurie Puszczewicz lpuszcze at indiana.edu
Thu Jan 20 09:45:04 EST 2005

This list seems like it has had some editors (professional and otherwise),
so i thought you might be a good place to direct this question to. A
research group at the University I am currently working for (in Spain),
has asked me as a native English speaker to edit their forthcoming book.
Yesterday they asked me to give them an idea of how much I should be paid
for this work, and if I want to be paid by the hour, the word, etc. I
honestly have no idea what the goign rate (or a fair rate) is for this
kind of thing.  Basically, it is proofreading more than anything else, but
I am checking the format of citations, etc, so it does take some time.
Does anyone have any idea as to what a fair rate to charge is?

Catching up on old magazines I brought from the US, I read about a sci fi
short story collection that might be of interest to the list. _Christmas
Stars_, edited by David G. Hartwell, contains "Yuletide-themed sci fi and
fantasy stories," by such authors as Arthur C. Clarke, Rick Shelley, and
Philip Van Doren Stern. The reviewer  gave the collection a B, not that
this means anything necessarily.

Laurie