Americanisms (was RE: Sorcery and Cecilia and Desert Island books)

ROSLYN rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jan 20 08:29:58 EST 2005

Anita wrote:

> Weird Mob has the author as Nino Culotta, but is actually by John O'Grady.

Oh yes--that's right! Thanks for that.

>I think you're right and "Let stalk Strine" came out at about the same
>time.
> LSS is by (of course) Affabeck Lauder (apparently really Alistair
> Morrison).

And that's right too!

> I still use Strinisms sometimes, but not many people understand. (Emma? ,
> short for Emma Chisit, or How much is it?)

I love them. Kath and Kim have spawned what could be considered new ones,
like "Look at moy!" (though they're not written, so don't have quite the
same effect.) Are they the ones that say "Poiter!" (or "Poider", really) or
is that someone else?

Ros